To Train Up A Child
Three parents have been convicted to date of murdering their children from following teachings in the book “To Train Up A Child”. Christian ministers Michael and Debi Pearl in the book advocate:
- using plastic tubing to beat children,
- “Blanket training” babies by hitting them with an instrument if they try to crawl off a blanket on the floor etc.
- “Swatting” babies as young as six months old with instruments such as “a 12-inch willowy branch,” thinner plastic tubing or a wooden spoon
- Giving cold water baths, putting children outside in cold weather and withholding meals as discipline
- Inflicting punishment until a child is “without breath to complain.”
Books like that of the Pearls presumably are allowed to be sold because of the First Amendment rights to freedom of speech. While it is hard believing that Congress had this sort of thing in mind when it passed the Amendment (although I note they did so in the age of slavery, so who knows) but in any case society and humanity have moved on since 1776 (we’ve abolished physical slavery if not yet economic slavery) and therefore should this book be even allowed to be sold? Should freedom of speech include the preaching of sadistic behaviour and child abuse? Likewise should freedom of speech allow public advocation of any destructive thought that might pass through the head of a fellow human being: fatwas, the assassination of the President, nuclear apocalypse, genocide etc etc.
From both history and observation we see that freedom of any sort without commonsense, intelligence and some boundaries easily leads to the worst in people. In a sane and progressive community “To Train Up A Child” will be banned. Amazingly, you can buy the book on Amazon!